Pages Navigation Bar

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

2-Pan Cabbage Casserole

It's cold.  I mean really cold.  I mean high of zero degrees cold.  It's so cold, school districts around the state were closed today, and will be closed tomorrow.  When it's this cold outside, I want something warm, delicious, and hearty to eat.  My husband has been pushing me to blog about meals (not just treats).  I think it's a plot to get me to cook more--he cooks most of the meals, and yes I am spoiled.

A few months ago, my friend Heather had these delicious looking leftovers for lunch.  She shared her recipe, and this is my interpretation:

Oh, and did I mention this is really healthy?  Whole grain, peppers, protein, etc.

Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground meat (I used elk tonight, but I have used beef, and I am sure turkey would be great too)
  • 1 bag shredded cabbage (I use the kind for cole slaw)
  • 1 can sour kraut
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 2 cups water
  • olive oil
Supplies
  • medium pot
  • large skillet
  • cutting board
  • knife
  • wooden spoon
Directions
  1. Combine water and rice in pot.  Bring to boil.  Turn heat down to simmer for 45 minutes.
  2. Chop onion and peppers.
  3. Sprinkle olive oil into skillet and warm over medium heat.  Add onions. 
  4. Cook down until they are slightly brown.
  5. Add meat to skillet and brown.
  6. Add peppers, sour kraut, and cabbage.  Stir until the cabbage is completely wilted.
  7. Fill your bowl about half-way with rice, then top with the cabbage mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.